| HICAP provides four basic services: Counseling and Advocacy, Legal Representation, Referral Services and Community Education.
These services are provided by counselors registered by the California Department of Aging who act in good faith to provide accurate information about health insurance policies and benefits to beneficiaries. This information shall not be construed to be legal advice.
Counseling and Advocacy Services
HICAP provides counseling services one-on-one, confidential and direct assistance in key problem areas.
Common problems experienced by beneficiaries include needing assistance with:
- Understanding Medicare benefits
- Understanding insurance terminology
- Billing and claims procedures
- Exploring long-term care insurance options
- Evaluating policies
- Medical record keeping
- Information needed to make informed decisions
- Prescription drug coverage
- Comparing Private Medicare Supplemental plans
- Medicare appeals and claims denials
- Access to care delivery systems,
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or managed care options
- Medicare premiums
- Exploring long-term care options
Referral Services and Legal Representation
Provides legal representation or referral for Medicare-related appeals and grievances when issues cannot be resolved at a less formal level.
Community Educational Services: Community Education is designed to acquaint citizens, regardless of age, with timely and accurate information on health care related issues.
- Medicare Informational Presentations to Community Organizations and Senior Service Providers
- Senior Health Fair Participation- Booth and Seminars
- Public Service Announcements- Radio and Newspapers
- Volunteer Counselor Training
If you or someone you know would like a representative from
HICAP to make a presentation to your organization. please contact:
Outreach Coordinator Phone: (916) 375-3765